Small Relief Panel of Courting Couple

Venice, 1390-1416

Ox bone. Baldassari Embriachi was a wealthy Florentine noble who established the Embriachi workshop in the late 14th century. He employed local artisans. In about 1390 he moved the shop to Venice. His most productive years were between c. 1370 and 1416. He specialized in carving ox and horse bone, and among the most popular of his products were small wooden boxes with applied bone panels that were given to brides and were known as "marriage caskets." This is a panel from a marriage casket. Good condition, not examined out of frame.

2-1/2" x 1-3/8": frame 6-3/8" x 5-1/8".
 
SOLD
zyag491

Click on any image to enlarge it. Click again to make it smaller.

        

        

     
PRINT THIS PAGE